Tuesday, January 10, 2006

a night with my boys

I'm not a mom, but I play one .... not on tv, but everynow and then I get the privledge of caring (in great capacity) for two wonderful boys. Tonight is one of those nights. I remember vividly when I was growing up and I'd smart talk my mom, or whine and complain about something...anything and the response would be "one day when you have kids of your own, you'll understand." Well, like I said... I'm not a mom, but I think I "get it." Or at least I "get it" more than I used to.

I've been here watching my not-so-little buddies, the youngest is 8 and the eldest, 12...going on 18. Scary! What is it about boys and bodily functions? I hadn't been here 20 minutes and the youngest felt it necessary to play the "butt trumpet" for me. Of course, I laugh at first and quickly follow up with, "say excuse me, please?" He doesn't want excused - he wants laughs! I sit and laugh at him as I attempt to ward off his every attempt at staying up til his mom gets home. (I used to do that!) I usually calm him down by telling him a G-rated version of one of my work stories often embelished to entertain yet modified not to scar. As for the eldest, well he was in rare form tonight - procrastination at its finest. "let me make you cookies..." ".... let's talk I haven't seen you for awhile"... or (the one I used) "I can always do it tomorrow". Well, mom said it'd all come back around once I had kids -- the good Lord didn't even wait til then. I think I was so mischevious as a kid, i am gonna get a double dose. It's alright though, with that I've learned, love far out-weighs the frustration of sibling rivalries, school-work procrastination and nasty smelling gases coming from 8 year old boodies.

All in all, it's been a good night. Because as I mentioned earlier, these two little men also make my heart tender...in a way only children could.

No comments: