Saturday, June 09, 2007

Roommates

I have something tonight that I haven't had in years.... a roommate. Actually, if I were to be specific, I have 4, yes, that's right... FOUR roommates. To say I'm anxious about it would be a HUGE understatement. But here's how it happened -



About six weeks ago, I began playing softball with a group of ladies, most of whom I had never met before. Well, after a game about three weeks ago, we went out to eat and I overheard one of the women talking about how she was looking for a place to stay. I ignored it at first, I mean, I certainly didn't want a roommate. But as I continued to listen to her situation it reminded me of about 51/2 years ago when I was in a similar predicament. Basically this lady had moved to TN due to a job transfer and her husband and two children were back in Arizona, finishing out the school year. She had been here for four months living with a lady in a small apartment and though the situation had worked initially, it was time for her to move on. So she continues to speak of her desire to see her husband and kids more as the only time she is able to see them now is (was) on weekends every now and then. Long story short, somewhere between "need a place to stay" and "We're hoping it will only be a month" I offered to let her stay with me. Well as things do with families things are ever changing. The arrival date got changed and not only that but with her came the children and husband. They are staying for the week. AND, she's hoping to let them stay here with her for longer. I didn't commit to that --- that could be a bit much. I told her we'd see how the first week went and go from there.



I was a nanny. I can mix and gel with the best and worst of family dynamics, but there is just something about having a whole family reside within your single family home. I think its going to work out; I'm just having to keep myself in check. The sad reality is that I have grown quite accustom to my ways, my idiosyncrasies and this, that and the other. The perks are: a little extra cash flow, the dad loves to cook, its company for the cats during the day and they love Law and Order. The down side: I can't go bra-less after work, I have to share my popcorn, and there is always that feeling of having to be accommodating even when I don't feel like it. Yeah, yeah... I know many/most of you are thinking "yeah, that's my life everyday. It's what families do". But, just remember, I'm not married. I'm not in love with these people; heck I barely know them. I'm not trying to be a martyr here; I'm simply telling you this for prayer. I want to provide a place for this family to reconnect as they have been apart for four months. But, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm struggling with giving up my peace and quiet, my space....and my popcorn. :)



So here's my request as it concerns this situation:


  • For Janel and Scott's house to sell back in AZ putting them in a better situation to purchase a house here in TN.

  • For Scott to find employment here in Nashville or a nearby town.

  • For the girls, ages 6 and 9, to be comfortable during this transition.

  • For me, that I might gain increased selflessness, patience and flexibility.

  • For all of us to keep the lines of communication open and honest with regard to expectations.

Like I said, I think it will all be fine. I'm just a little "nervous" about it. Keep me in your prayers.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Just dont leave your rollerblades lying around I know how you are of wait thats me...no that sounds like a tough living arrangment. I will pray for you and the family to not trip over the rollerblades.