Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Life well lived....

ALERT ---- you may need tissues when reading this entry!





Sunday morning, I logged onto my computer, connected to the blogs of my friends and began to read Karla's latest entry. (If you haven't read it, please do and become aquainted with one of the greatest women to walk this earth).





The picture alone served as catalyst for tears, but the words that accompanied the photo filled my heart with a joy and thankfulness I sometimes forget to acknowledge. You see, Karla spoke of the laughter and love, care and courage and rebuke her mother showed to her. And as I read I thought, "yes, Phyllis did indeed offer all that and so much more to Karla". And then I thought, "and what a blessing, because she offered all that to me as well." And the blessing continues because, she passed that love, laughter, care, concern, and even that loving rebuke right on down to her daughter (who just happens to be one of my very best friends).





I've been pondering these thoughts since Sunday. I've been thinking about the concept of "sharing ourselves with others". Though Karla was indeed lucky to have such a sweet, sweet woman as her mother; I, too, was blessed not only to have known and loved Sweet Phyllis but to know and love her daughter as well. It is a life well lived when you live in such a way that the very best of you can be seen in others. I miss Sweet Phyllis; I miss stopping for lunch on my way home to IL, I miss hearing her pick up the phone when I call to say hi, I miss her laugh and the way she used to call me "Trace". But, I'm grateful because though there is a void in my life due to her absence on earth, my heart is fuller becaues I had the opportunity to love and be loved by someone such as her. And the blessing continues to grow because my sweet friend Karla is so very much like her mother. So, I guess in the end --- it's all as it should be... we all continue to be blessed by another life well lived.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Now see that is what you should do warn someone when you are going to be all emotional.....

Karla said...

You are sweet. Thanks for the kind words. She loved you a ton and you always made her laugh. I'm so blessed to have friends who really knew her and will help me remember.