Sunday, June 10, 2007

8 year olds and death threats

I recently vacationed with a friend of mine down in South Carolina. We went to the beach for a few days to join her brother, wife and three children for some fun in the sun. However, in addition to her family was the family they frequently vacation with, consisting of three other children. So, yes, that means I just vacationed with six children... doesn't sound like it could have been relaxing, does it?

In exchange for a free night at the beach house, my friend and I had agreed to babysit the six kids while the parents went out for a night on the town. In attempt to reduce the anxiety in the two 18 month old girls, we opted to take them for a walk as the parents made their exit. It worked and the rest of the night was pretty low key. We had "movie night" and attempted to create a movie theatre atmosphere for the kids. All went well until each and everyone of them fell asleep and I attempted to get the 8 year old up and into bed. She was resistant and refused to go to bed. (I knew we'd have some trouble her earlier in the day when she was found, stifling through my friend's bag, and had admittely lied to her father about "finding" her mom's wedding ring on the floor.) Anyway, she was more than resistant and I became firm with her telling her that going to bed was not an option. She went to bed. However, the next morning I awoke to a note being slid under the door. In eight year old grammar she said, she didn't like to be told what to do and that I "treated her like crap." She ended the letter by saying she "had killed me in my sleep". Disturbing? Yes. Scared? Not for myself but for her and her parents and the years to come.... most definitely.

It ended with a soft spoken, though clearly not sincere apology. I have to say in all my time spent with children it was the first time I heard "because I threatened to kill you" as the response when asked, "what are you sorry for?"

Other than that, the vacation was great. Tours of downtown Charleston, walks along the ocean collecting sea shells, spending time with a good friend, and fun kids to boot. It was quick but it was good. And now tomorrow it's back to reality; voicemails, emails, crisis, and trouble-shooting. I can hardly wait.

No comments: