Monday, March 31, 2008

"Debbie Downer"?

A good friend recently posted the question, "Are you happy with your life?" My “issue” is though I’m happy with my life, I feel I’ve taken on a pestimistic attitude towards my job. I love what I do and with whom I work, but lately to hear me you wouldn’t think that is the case. I’ve been thinking, “wow, I feel like all I do is complain”. And the chances are, if I think that -everyone else does too! Don’t get me wrong, they’re legitimate issues, concerns, complaints; unmet deadlines, mimimal resources, being lied to, manipulated, and ignored by others when I’m trying to do my very best at my job. BUT, though these may be real areas of concern and issues that need to be voice and addressed, I can’t let them dictate how I feel about myself or communicate with others.
So, I’ve challenged myself, (beginning today) to finish conversations with a positive. Perhaps a compliment to the one with whom I am speaking, or vocalizing an observation regarding my surroundings, the weather, etc. Point is…. I want to end conversations on a high note not a downer.
Anyone else up for this challenge?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That friend must be super sharp:).
The traci I know has always been positive and upbeat. Always encouraging and supportive...I know Michelle and I count it a blessing to have you as our friend.

I have always appreciated your ability to see the positives in situations.
peace...mm