Monday, March 24, 2008

IN AN INSTANT........

.......Life changes.
How often I feel my life is the same day after day, week after week. I often tell friends and family who complain of not hearing from me enough that "nothing has changed; therefore, I have not much to say". But, it can change so suddenly. I think I take for granted the fact that right now at this point in my life - it's consistent. Almost predictable. Work, home, hang out with friends, sleep, have a good conversation, sleep and do it all over again.

I'm sure we all wish we could add a little spice to our life now and then. Bypass the boredom. Not me. Not now.

I went to church last Sunday and was greeted by a man with a gentle smile, a friendly hug, and the most calming of voices. He appeared health and was what I've recently referred to as a "quiet servant" with a strong presence among our small "church community". (A large group of us had recently joined with another church and this man was already serving in our new-found church). Anyway, I received word tonight that our friend, Jacky, had died. He had come down with the flu, which turned into pneumonia, caught a virus, ended up in a coma and was taken off life support earlier this evening. All in less than one weeks time. And so I say, in an instant...
Life Changes.

I'll take my mundane, same 'ole same 'ole life and be blessed by it. Yes, our friend is in a better place. I don't grieve for him. I grieve for his family and friends left behind whose life changed -
IN AN INSTANT.

1 comment:

Karla said...

And you know what's funny...things can change over time and you hardly notice. Until, you look back over the past year and think..whoa...my life is totally different than it was a year ago. I've been feeling that way alot lately.