Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Boys Will Be Boyz




Kids grow up so fast. I went home this weekend for my nephew's 8th birthday. EIGHT, can you believe that?? I sure can't. Not only do they grow up but they grow out and grow in, too:




  • They grow out of hugs and kisses (when I went to give him a big hug and kiss, he looked at me and said "Don't, just do this" and proceeded to give me a high-five.) Are you kidding me??? I wanted a hug from the little dude, but you can't force these things.



  • They grown into instilling fear into others (My sister and Tyler had been away for a short trip and I wasn't expecting them to return until Saturday morning. To my surprise they returned early -- only it wasn't early --- it was near 11pm at night and I was asleep in bed. Tyler got a thrill out of scary the heeby-jeebies out of me. I nearly pee'd my pants. (I didn't tell him that).



  • They grow out of cuddling on the couch to watch cartoons Only thing he wanted to cuddle with was the controller to the x-box.



  • They grow out of the excitement of a far away relative paying a visit and prefer sleep-overs with friends they see week in and week out. (Trace didn't rank #1 this visit). :(



  • They grow out of their awkwardness and find their body control This nephew of mine is gonna be one heck of a basketball player. (His aunts and uncle bought him a basketball hoop and what a great investment this was)! Tina, we get dibs on any sideline tickets at the NBA playoffs.



  • They grow more and more loved with each passing day Though I was a little taken aback by how much Tyler's grown and just how different he is and how that affected my time spent with him. I was pleased. I was pleased because this little guy has gone through more in his first 8 years of life than what most of us only dare to imagine. I was encouraged because though life has dealt him situations that have forced him to grow beyond his years; he's still just an 8 year old boy. A boy who is loved with all the love a person has to offer.

And so even though, my visits from here on out will consist of slimy worms, fishing trips, basketball games, and boy sleep-overs --- I'll take it. Because he's right where he is supposed to be; in a loving home, surrounded by people that love and care for him, and has all the support and love a person could ever want found right within his family and friends. Pretty luck 8 year old, wouldn't you say??

No comments: