Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Only As Old As You Feel...

"You're only as old as you feel." Who came up with that, anyway? Lately, I don't like that cliche' one bit! Fatigue, shortness of breath, chest pains- descriptors or someone much older than 33, don't you think? Well, lately those words describe me and I've been anything but happy about it.

After about 2 1/2 months of these symptoms, I finally decided to go the doctor to see what was up. After meeting with a cardiologist, we both decided that the forementioned symptoms were likely a result of increased stress and my lack of coping skills in dealing with that stress. As a precaution, I've been attached to a heart monitor all week; but finally broke the leash earlier this evening. The symptoms are still there and so is the stress but I've heard nothing out of the ordinary from the cardio-net group that monitors the heart. So, that leads me to believe the symptoms are nothing more than my body telling me to chill out. (I really should listen).

I've gotta give myself some kudos, though, I've done better this week; Leaving work earlier (on time), going to bed earlier, taking naps, exercising, and trying to talk a little more openly about the issues of the heart. I'm hopeful these things will help me feel better and that soon I'll be feeling like a 33 year old again.

2 comments:

Karla said...

Oh Trac-
I'm sorry I didn't know all of this. I'm glad you are taking better care of yourself.
I agree, though, that we are much too young to feel this stressed and exhausted all the time. Let's take a vacation...a real big one. What do you say?

Mandy said...

I hear Missouri is nice this time of year..lots of Red Birds will be making a comeback the kind that are on bats....Hint Hint. I love you. I am sorry you arent feeling well...