Saturday, February 18, 2006

snowy saturday

So, I open my eyes this AM and I think "it seems awfully bright in here"... then just as I did when I was in elementary school, I peered out the window to see the snow. A soft, thin blanket of snow covered the ground --- in IL we would call it a "dusting" but here in Nashville - it was chaos. Classes were closed, games were cancelled and people were spending the day hybernating in their homes. Smart, for sure, if you've ever seen the way Nashvillians drive. I, like a kid, longing for a snow day was ecstatic when I found out that I wasn't going to have to go the gym and coach my 4th grade girls bb team. It's fun, but we're having a losing season and well... I just didn't want to go today. So, I made some hot chocolate and curled up on the couch to read a book. Sounds good, doesn't it? Ah, don't get too excited - my to do list had been made so I couldn't relax. I was up, showered and out the door within the hour.

I drove around on slushy streets, deliberatly executing a safe skid around a few turns. And for a few minutes, I missed the cold winters of Illinois and longed for a winter trip to MN, as we used to do to visit my uncle. And then reality hit... I had to get out of the warm car and run the errands. And quickly I was reminded of why I moved to TN in the first place; mild winters. But the snowy saturday was comforting in a cold, bitter sort of way. It was the recurrence of something familiar; a catalyst for memories tucked away... and the memories made the cold, snowy Saturday much warmer. I hope it snows tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I wish it would snow here on the weekend so I could have a day like you minus the errands . I love snowdays heck I love any day you get to miss work.,

I miss you.